BYU Beats Life, Advances to Championship

May 12, 2012 by  
Filed under Featured, News & PR

BYU captain No. 8 Ryan Roundy led the Cougars to a close win over a very strong Life team in Marietta, GA

Marietta, GA–#1 BYU Rugby traveled to #2 Life University for the D1-A semifinal and beat the Mid-South champions 26-20 to advance to their 7th straight national championship game next Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium.

In a very physical and tactical match BYU took an early lead and held on late to beat a strong Life team on their field.

After being down 26-5 the Running Eagles clawed their way back into the game on back of two tries by All American No. 8 Cameron Dolan and flanker Andrew McNeil.

With an additional penalty goal by fullback Joe Cowley Life was on the verge of coming back in the final quarter of the game.

But BYU, who played the majority of the game in their own half, would regain possession and hold on to the ball to run out the clock and win the game following the clearing kick from center Paul Lasike.

“We had to earn this one,” BYU captain Ryan Roundy, “Life is a very good team. And there’s not a lot of teams, if any who could come in here and beat them. I’m really proud of our guys for their guts and determination.”

The Cougars started the game fast from an early try from prop Ray Forrester in the 4th minute. A tough angled conversion by scrumhalf Shaun Davies had BYU leading 7-0 in Marietta.

Life would come back quickly with a chip kick that bounced back into the arms of Cowley who then passed to a supporting scrum half Cornelius Dirksen who scored Life’s opening try in the 10th minute. BYU would still lead 7-5 after the Life try was unconverted.

But as Life controlled more field position and possession the BYU defense was committed and repelled the Life attack on more than one occasion.

Eventually the BYU defensive patience led to three tries from the Cougars that would prove the difference in the game.

The first came from fly half Dylan Lubbe who intercepted a Life pass to sprint the remaining 60 meters for the try. And the remaining two were from center Paul Lasike manufacturing a duo of tries late in the first half.

“Those last two tries were big obviously,” said BYU head coach David Smyth, “Not only did we hold on because of those tries, but both came on the back of some tough defense which was the name of the game.”

The Cougars now move on to the National Championship game for the 7th straight time next Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, UT.

BYU will face a familiar foe in Arkansas State who are making their first ever national title bout.

BYU has faced Arkansas State twice before, the first time in 2009 as the Cougars marched on to their first national title and most recently last year where the Cougars came from behind to beat the Red Wolves 36-15.

For ticket details and information on the Collegiate D1-A National Championship go to www.riotintostadium.com.

BYU 1st XV vs. Life

1. Mikey Su’a
  2. Ishmael Tilialo
  3. Ray Forrester (Joey Mount @ 30′)
  4. TJ Allred
  5. Kyle Sumsion
  6. Kumi Tua’one (Chad Harker @ 55′ front row sub)
  7. Hynie Leaaetoa
  8. Ryan Roundy ©
  9. Shaun Davies
  10. Dylan Lubbe
  11. Malosi Te’o
  12. Seki Kofe
  13. Paul Lasike (Chris Wernli @ 50′ blood sub)
  14. Will Taylor
  15. Tua Laei

SCORING

BYU 26
Tries: Forrester 4′; Lubbe 13′; Lasike 37′, 40′
Conversions: Davies 3/4 (4′, 13′, 37′)
Penalties: Davies 0/1 (78′)
Yellow Card: Su’a @ 54′

LIFE 20
Tries: Dirksen 10′; Dolan 43′; McNeil 56′
Conversions: Cowley 1/3 (56′)
Penalties: Cowley 1/3 (60′)
Red Card: Life @ 76′

Comments

22 Responses to “BYU Beats Life, Advances to Championship”
  1. Nathaniel Maughan says:

Not that my opinion matters… but things I noticed..

CONS:
    1) Some of the line-out decision making seemed interesting… Sometimes it seemed way too slow and sometimes the choice of jumper seemed a bit suspect (like throwing right next to the opposing pod?)…
    2) Have we really lost the ability to effectively STEAL line-outs?
    3) Deep 3 decision making (just sometimes)…
    4) Securing the Rucks… We got there quick, but then stood there and got counter-rucked

PROS:
    1) Backs were dangerous every time they got the ball; Forwards put some nice phases together to close the game out
    2) Defense was pretty decent
    3) Sumsion and Ray are my heroes still… Hope Ray is back for next week….

• Daniel Paul says:

Good insights Coach Maughan!

• Have to second Coach Maughan on his thoughts …

Don’t know exactly why, but BYU’s line-out has been average at best for the last two years. Any good team has seen through the different plays after the first few attempts. Let’s not even talk about the scrum.

Also, thank goodness for Lasike and Dylan with those runaway tries … though I still don’t find enough comfort in the fact that pressure situations are yielding individual tries rather than team tries.

Tough game to watch but will definitely take the win. Good luck to the Boys this next Saturday at Rio Tinto!

2. John Craig says:

Wow that camera work was capital-L Lousy. Too bad the Coug’s TV crew couldn’t have been there; it would have been a much more enjoyable watching experience. But, at least we got to see much of the game.

Impressive goal-line stands on multiple occasions. A bit of luck that a couple of their tries were scored way outside making the conversions difficult enough that they only got 1 for 3. Add on those other two conversions and a penalty and Life would have been above the Y’s point total.

An impressive effort, though.

Way to go Cougs! We’ll be there next week to cheer you on!

• Art says:

The last time I saw TV that bad it was in the early sixties and in black and white. It was kind of strange to hear the game but have the players in the picture. The pole on hte right side of the booth was also in the way quite oftena
      Great win Cougars. I’ll be there at Rio Tinto.!!

3. Chief Jay Strongbow says:

Massive props to BYU. Huge win as Life is very good. How many will be in the stands next week ?
    Of course the big question people are asking, BYU TV will you show the national championship ?

4. Mark says:

Gotta say after waching the entire game, Life should have won. I know they did not win, and this may be an unpopular opinion but I think they were clearly better on the day. Thier kicker had his bad game of the year (cost them 12 points), they gave up to intecept tries (14 points) and spilled the ball inside thier 5 meters several times.

Don’t get me wrong, BYU are a very good team for sure. I think Life had played a really poor first half and took over in the 2nd. They dominate line outs, scrums in the 2nd half, position, and i felt thier backs were clearly better as were the loose forwards. This was a case of a big physical team against an athletic skilled team. Play the game 10 times and i think Life win 6-7 of them. Todays score if it was really reflective of the game would have been somewhere in the 32-14 range to Life.

I can bet they are not sitting there tonight happy with how close they came. This was a National Championship lost for Life. Nice thing for them is they are mainly underclassmen and will bring the bigggest part of that team back next year. If I were BYU I would be concerned with ASU now as they played Life pretty close.

5. Mark says:

Gotta say after waching the entire game, Life should have won. I know they did not win, and this may be an unpopular opinion but I think they were clearly better on the day. Thier kicker had his bad game of the year (cost them 12 points), they gave up two intecept tries (14 points) and spilled the ball inside thier 5 meters several times.

• Nathaniel Maughan says:

I can agree with some comments but NOT the “i felt their backs were clearly better” comment… Life found their success in kicking for field position and keeping it with their forwards once in BYU’s end. Their center crashes were ineffective and every time they swung it out wide they got no where or got carried out of bounds. They ran good and hard (better than every other team BYU has played), but their lines and ball skills were nothing special. BYU’s backs were far superior in my opinion…

• Matt yamamoto says:

Very true Maughan

• fpt says:

Life’s backs are the reason they lost the game.

• fpt says:

All I saw from their back line is a black guy with dreadlocks that looked way intimidating but didn’t play that impressively. Three mistakes that allowed BYU to score three tries and a few missed opportunities on offense that they couldn’t capitalize on, that cost them the game. But on a more positive side their kicking game was very impressive (at least when the kicks weren’t towards the posts).

6. Sean says:

BYU was the better team today. BYU also had the better backs on the field. 3 of BYau’s 4 tries came at th hands of th backline. Life did really well in the scrums and line outs, but their set piece moves were extremely ineffective.

Congratulations Cougars!! Beat Arkansas State!

• Mark says:

The thing is that two of the tries came from intercepts to Life mistakes. Not like they were well worked moved. Granted that does take skill and creidit is due to BYU for scoring those. I will say that the big center is obviously a talented player and probably thier best on the day. On the day there was not much between the two sides. I was hoping to see a Life win but that did not happen. Honestly judging by last year and this year I was a bit worried that the game could have been another 43-10 loss like last against Cal. I was happy to see how far the Life program has come in a few short years.

Point taken on Su’a, I did not see him carded. Unfortunately the camera guy left a bit to be desired to say the least. Maybe there were some cute girls walking by and he was distracted. I saw him come back but I thought it was a blood bin.

Now to BYU, don’t lose to ASU. I don’t dislike ASU at all and they are a deserviing team but to see them win after losing twice to Life would be a hard pill to swallow. I think today saw the two best D1 teams playing. No disrespect to the other Semi.

7. Matt yamamoto says:

The reason Life played better in the 2nd half is Mikey Su’a was out with a yellow card. Being a man down in your forward pack is going to give you a huge disadvantage, not to mention when it is an all-American. As soon as Mikey came back, BYU stopped the drives. Life was counter rucking better, I’ll give you that.

8. john seggar says:

I have thoroughly enjoyed this season. However,I remember last year against Cal that BYU’s line-outs were put to shame and in my opinion were the reason for our defeat. I hope that the coaches will remedy this so it doesn’t happen this year. The team has the ability there is no doubt but we must really be ready to be hard nosed next week in all aspects of the game right from the kick-off. Good luck w e are behind you every step of the way. Former BYU coach John Seggar

9. Utah Rugger says:

I have to give a special congratulations to BYU for a strong effort and for pulling off a solid win. Out of respect for representing our State of UT I wish you the very best in this years Championship match. I may be a player who plays for the “U” but when all said and done, we support each other as states-men! All the best Cougs

10. Sapati says:

Anyone knows the starting time for the game on Saturday?

11. Byu says:

Does anyone know where i can purchase tickets?

Comment

If you want an avatar to show with your comment, go get a gravatar...don't worry, it's easy.